- 1 cup (236ml) warm milk
- 2 1/2 teaspoons (7g) dry yeast
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup (75g) butter, melted
- 1/2 cup (100g) white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups (408g) bread flour OR 3 1/2 cups (437g) all-purpose
- 3/4 cup (177ml) heavy cream
- 1 cup (200g) packed brown sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons (19g) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon (1.3g) ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup (75g) butter, softened
- 4 ounces (113g) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup (56g) butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups (187g) confectioner’s sugar
- 2-4 tablespoons (59ml) half-and-half or milk
- Place warm milk into large bowl and whisk in sugar until dissolved. Sprinkle yeast over warm milk and let dissolve and proof for 5 minutes. Whisk in eggs, butter and salt. Gradually begin adding bread flour. When dough forms, turn out onto work surface and knead gently to make soft dough. Adjust flour as needed, add all 4 cups if dough is still sticky. Place dough into greased bowl, covered with kitchen towel and let proof for 45 to 60 minutes, or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line large, rectangle baking dish (I used a 13×9-inch pan) with parchment paper and spray with non-stick spray. If you would like to add nuts to the cinnamon rolls, sprinkle them on the bottom of the pan.
- Roll dough on lightly floured surface into large rectangle. Spread with melted 1/3 cup butter. Combine brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Sprinkle mixture over butter and work in with hands (can add chopped nuts at this stage, if desired). Gently roll dough to form a log. Using un-flavored dental floss, section dough into 1 1/2-inch thick pieces.
- Place cut rolls into prepared pan. Cover pan with clean kitchen towel and let dough proof until doubled in size. I placed mine next to my preheated oven to speed up the process.
- Bake in preheated oven for 7-10 minutes. Take out rolls and pour several tablespoons of heavy cream over each roll. Return to oven and bake until golden brown on top.
- Meanwhile, prepare frosting. Whisk together cream cheese, butter, vanilla. 2 tablespoons half-and-half and salt in small bowl. Add confectioner’s sugar. Adjust frosting consistency by adding milk; add several more tablespoons for a thinner icing.
- Spread frosting over warm rolls and let the rolls cool slightly before serving. Alternatively, place frosting into disposable pastry bag/ziplock bag, and pipe individually onto each roll.
- Keep rolls covered and refrigerated when not serving. Best when reheated in oven.